Thursday 14 July 2016

"The Classic Review"
DEVDAS 2002 & DEVDAS 1955, COMPARISON.


Here it is, the first movie in "The Classic Review". I agree its not a review but rather a comparison. but its the first, and many more will come.

Cast of the 1955 Devdas:
Dilip Kumar as Devdas
Vyjayanthimala as Chandramukhi
Motilal as Chuinni Babu
Suchitra Sen as Parvati/Paro

Cast of the 2002 Devdas:
Shahrukh Khan as Devdas
Madhuri Dixit as chandramukhi
Jackie shroff as Chunni Babu
Aishwarya Rai as Parvati/Paro


First and foremost I would like to say that I loved both movies, Both Movies were made for its own time and according to its own time. I would try to compare everything I can, but I am wrong anywhere please forgive me, and do correct me if you wish to.

Star Performance:
It is not possible to compare The great Dilip Kumar saab with anyone, I believe his greatness can not be achieved by anyone, Both Shahrukh khan and Dilip Kumar did a great Job with Devdas, they did it completely different according to their own time but both did it equally great. The fact that Shahrukh did it in his own way, is a big plus for the 2002 Devdas, as I said Dilip kumar saab's greatness can not be copied by anyone.
the same goes for the rest of the cast, everyone did a completely different equally amazing job, in both movies.

Dialogues:
Dialogues of both movies are again very different, even the famous ones, like "kon kambakht bardasht krne ko pita hai".
Again I would Say great job both movies. The Dialogues suit the people they were written for, and that works in favour of both movies and the actors. and also you cant just say the same thing and expect people to appreciate it. good job Bhansali sir.

Filming Location:
For me the 1955 Devdas had the edge over the 2002 Devdas. The 1955 Devdas Portrayed reality from its shooting locations, the houses, the paths, everything portrayed what you would expect in real life, whereas The 2002 Devdas was shot on a set, which seems like a fantasy world. don't get me wrong I loved both, but still reality looks better than fantasy.

The Overall Movies:
Its not really possible to say if one is better than the other, at least not for me, I loved both.
Both the films has the same story, as it was a book adaptation. but the story telling is different. I guess both movies has told the stories according to their respective times. thats why the music, the dialogues, the locations, everything is different but equally great.



                                                                                                                                         FAISAL.

No comments:

Post a Comment